Thursday, March 14, 2013

Assignment 5 - Introducing Colour

The following works are a series that I did to ''Introduce Colour'' to my floral subjects.

The drawing was done over water colour that was applied randomly leaving holes to allow the white paper to show through.  I used pastel pencils to show the different tones in the flower.  I like the concept but feel it needs more work and perhaps using plain coloured pencils could have improved the work.

No. 1


The following drawing was done on a similar background of watercolour and I lifted out some of the colour to show the lighter petals.  I added depth using a darker watercolour pencil. I like this interpretation very much and feel I could do more with in future works.

No. 2


I enjoyed drawing the tulips from this angle as the flowers seem to be growing as you look at them.  Using coloured pencils I feel I have captured a good likeness of the flowers and leaves.

No.3

I used Inkense watercolour pencil and added water to only those couple of flowers on the left so see the difference compared to the others.  I think the white background distracts from the the composition.

No.4



This attempt at the watercolour with pencil did not work that well at all.

No.5

A similar result from the last, not so good.

No.6


A better example of using coloured pencil over the watercolour.  I think this has possibilities for further development.

No.7


This did not work at all well, the outlines were too much and the colours were not very compatable in their current tones

No. 8


I used oil pastels which are water soluble.  The colours of the purple and blue are very strong and harsh,  I do think however, that the pink flowers have possibilities of future development.

No.9


I consider the differences how I draw when I use colour to be similar to when I draw with only a pencil or similar.  I would like to think I do, but I must admit that sometimes the colour confuses the drawing so what I eventually end up with is not quite the drawing I began with.  I will keep this in mind for future work.  I think the method that was the most effective was in my drawing number 2, I liked the minimal lines and the lifting out of petal colour.  I also like my drawing number 4 of the tulips.  The inktense coloured pencils are very enjoyable to use as when you wet them you get a different depth of colour.  I liked the effect of some areas being wet and allowing the colour to intensify and some areas being left with the colour pencil only.  I think also to use this technique on smooth water colour paper would be a different finish to the one I have used which is a little rough.  In my drawing number 7 I enjoyed drawing over the watercolour that had dried on the paper.  It gave a very textured look to the petals of the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment